2011 Allis-Chalmers CA

As presented by Kevin Cotter for Credit River Tractor Club

Manufacturer: Allis Chalmers Factory:     West Allis, Wisconsin Total built: 39,499 Original price: $1,900 (1951) Motor:          Allis Chalmers 4-cyl gasoline Serial Number # 8403

The company played a major part as a manufacturer in the World War II building pumps for uranium separation as part of the Manhattan Project and building electric motors for U.S. Navy submarines.

1951 Allis-Chalmers CA restoration, in pictures…

This tractor came to us from a former dealer in North Dakota who sold it to the club to finish the restoration that had already begun. The engine, while it may not look like it, has already been rebuilt and runs great.

Though it may be a little tough to see in the pictures, but there was some pretty rough looking welding done on this tractor over the years. Some of the welds were cosmetically filled in so the paint job will look nice when we get around to the finish.

We took possession of this tractor half-way through the tear down state saving the club a bunch of labor hours. We ended up with a few extra parts, 2 left fenders, and a cultivator. The club acquired the missing parts during the restorations. A few members have a special affinity for tractors with implements, so they look like they could be useful and to one-up the other tractor restoration clubs.

This year the tractor was sent off for sandblasting. Brady dropped the tractor off in Wisconsin (World Champion – Green Bay Packer country) and brought it home after it was complete. Here’s what a freshly blasted tractor looks like. A little assembly, and a little wait for shop space, and Jack can begin paint preparations.

The tractor has been transported to the paint shop, and is undergoing preparations for painting. This included priming and painting areas unaccessible after assembly, filling in dings to the sheet metal, and a few other tricks.

The gas tank had a major dent, and was quickly selected by Jack back in November to get a head start on pulling the dent out, welding some cracks and holes, smoothing everything out. Some pounding, some putty, and some careful sanding you get a tank that looks as good as new.

The hood was in pretty rough shape also. Our guess was somebody had sat on it at one time, as well as beating the crap out of it down on the farm. Untold hours were spent welding a few bad spots, straightening the sheet metal, filling, and sanding to get this looking as smooth as it is now.

We painted the raffle tractor today. The urethane paint went on very smoothly and with a final coat of clear it looks fantastic. The club can be proud of this raffle tractor. Well over One-Hundred hours were invested into the preparations and final painting of this project.

Blood, sweat, and tears